Friday, October 14, 2005

The illicit fun of pharmacology

Finally I have the time, energy and inclination to post on here. Sorry it has taken so long. I am back at uni and just finished the second week of lectures which has proved to me that this year does involve one hell of a lot of work, and on top of all of that I have to start looking for a job. Although I seem to have solved that problem for mysef as I think I'm going to go onto post-graduate study in either medical toxicology (I'm taking toxicology as a module this semester and it's the only one I'm really enjoying) or try and get onto the post-grad medical degree scheme. Either way, I'm still stressed.

Should have gone and seen my dissertation mentor this week but I didn't because I'm scared of him. Not in a practical way, he is a lovely guy and is most knowledgeable but I'm scared of seeing him as I don't appear to have done that much work for my research project, the title of which is the most thrilling The usage and effects of psychtropic medication in depressive disorders which is going to include a part on the role of psychtropics in poisoning (well it has to be related to pharmacology in some way. I have to see him at some point as I need to get some more info on things and he has to approve my questionnaires. Questionnaires I hear you ask... well I'm not relying totally on NHS/Dept. of Health stats, instead I've roped in some members of the public (namely people who attend the local mental health outpatients department and patients of the Regional Drugs & Therapeutics Centre plus some very kind friends who have offered to help) to give me a patient perspective on the true side-effects/adverse reactions etc of these drugs.

It's all very fun... repeat after me... it's all very fun.

Maybe if I keep teling myself it I'll start to believe it, or does that count as turning delusional? I don't know.

Well I'm going to go now but I promise more posts from me as of now because I got broadband installed at home now so I think I may be online every waking moment of the day now!

2 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Zarathustra said...

Your research topic sounds interesting.

The roles that different chemicals play in the synaptic clefts is apparently very complex, but quite intriguing.

BTW, try not to be too scared about meeting your mentor. I'm sure it would will go fine.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger french mistress said...

Hi Lis. Sorry am so rubbish at reading and staying in touch - this place removes all my fun!

Anyway, you've been tagged!

Go here to find out what I'm on about.

Cat
x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home